Back to Main FAQ Page
June 1, 2018
Text version of BASIC DEFINITIONS
to Main FAQ Page
What is a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone?
- A2) What is "Cape Verde" hurricane?
- A3) What is a super-typhoon? What is a major hurricane
? What is an intense hurricane ?
- A4) What is an easterly wave and what causes them?
- A5) What is a tropical disturbance, tropical depression,
- A6) What is a sub-tropical cyclone?
- A7) What is an extratropical cyclone ?
- A8) What is storm surge and how is it different
from storm tide ?
- A9) What is a "CDO" ?
- A10) What is a TUTT ?
- A11) What is the "eye" ? How is it formed and maintained
? What is the "eyewall" ? What are "spiral bands" ?
- A12) What is a moat in a hurricane ?
- A13) What is UTC, GMT, Z, or Zulu Time ?
How do I tell at what time a satellite picture was taken ?
- A14) How do I convert from mph to knots (or m/s),
from inches of mercury to millibars (or hPa), or from degrees of
latitude to miles (or kilometers) ?
- A15) How do tropical cyclones form ?
- A16) Why do tropical cyclones require at least
80°F ocean temperatures to form ?
- A17) What is the Saharan Air Layer (SAL) ? How
does it affect tropical cyclones ?
- A18) What is a neutercane ?
- A19) What does ATCF stand for and how are tropical
- A20) What does AL90, AL91, or 92L refer to in the
- A21) What is a 'post-tropical cyclone', 'remnant low', or
'potential tropical cyclone'? Revised