Dr. Michael S. Fischer
Hurricane Research Division-- CIMAS
NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
Dr. Fischer is a National Research Council (NRC) Postdoctoral Research Associate at NOAA/AOML's Hurricane Research Division (HRD) in Miami, FL. His research interests involve environmental and convective influences on tropical cyclone structure and intensity change, with an emphasis on processes favoring tropical cyclone rapid intensification. His research utilizes a combination of satellite and aircraft observations, reanalysis products, numerical modeling, and machine-learning techniques.
Manuscripts in Review
- Fischer, M. S., R. F. Rogers, and P. D. Reasor (2019): The rapid intensification and eyewall replacement cycles of Hurricane Irma (2017). Mon. Wea. Rev., in review.
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- DesRosiers, A.J., M.M. Bell, P.J. Klotzbach, M.S. Fischer, and P.D. Reasor. Observed relationships between tropical cyclone vortex height, intensity, and intensification rate. Geophysical Research Letters, 50(8):e2022GL101877, https://doi.org/10.1029/2022GL101877 2023
- Fischer, M.S., P.D. Reasor, B.H. Tang, K.L. Corbosiero, R.D. Torn, and X. Chen. A tale of two vortex evolutions: Using a high-resolution ensemble to assess the impacts of ventilation on a tropical cyclone rapid intensification event. Monthly Weather Review, 151(1):297-320, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-22-0037.1 2023
- Fischer, M.S., R.F. Rogers, P.D. Rogers, and J.P. Dunion. An observational analysis of the relationship between tropical cyclone vortex tilt, precipitation structure, and intensity change. Monthly Weather Review, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-23-0089.1 2023
- Fischer, M. S., R. F. Rogers, and P. D. Reasor: The rapid intensification and eyewall replacement cycles of Hurricane Irma (2017). 19th Cyclone Workshop, Seeon, Germany, October 2019.
- Fischer, M. S., B. H. Tang, and K. L. Corbosiero: Characteristics of tropical cyclone rapid intensification in environments of upper-tropospheric troughs. 33rd Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, April 2018.
- Fischer, M. S., B. H. Tang, K. L. Corbosiero, and C. M. Rozoff: Normalized convective characteristics of tropical cyclone rapid intensification events in the North Atlantic and eastern North Pacific. 33rd Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, April 2018.
Awards and Honors
|2019||Distinguished Dissertation Award||University at Albany