To add a SAMOC related news or highlight item, send request to the SAMOC webmaster
SAMOC News (last six months)
- Dec 14, 2014: The South Africans completed hydrographic cruise and deployed 7 French CPIES along Goodhope transect.
- Dec 5, 2014: South Atlantic Workshop and SAMOC V Meeting held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from Dec 1-5, 2014 (highlight #1).
- Nov 25, 2014: The joint UK Rapid/US AMOC International Science Meeting will be held Jul 21-24, 2015 in Bristol, UK. Meeting details can be found here.
- Oct 16, 2014: The Argentine research vessel Puerto Deseado just completed the ninth joint USA-Argentina-Brazil SAMOC research cruise (highlight #2).
- Sep 29, 2014: The South Africans completed cruise aboard the RS Algoa to deployment four tall South African SAMBA moorings.
South Atlantic Workshop and SAMOC V Meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Dec 1-5, 2014
Oct 4-16, 2014
- Jul 17, 2014: The webpage for the workshop on "South Atlantic circulation variability and change: integrating models and observations" is now available. The workshop will take place on Dec 1-5, 2014 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Jul 17, 2014: The 2014 US AMOC Science Team Meeting will take place on Sep 9-11, 2014 in Seattle, Washington.
- Apr 29, 2014: A recent paper by Meinen et al. (2013) on the first continuous in time observations of AMOC from the South Atlantic at 34.5S was highlighted in the Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union Volume 95, Number 17, 29 April 2014 and was a JGR Editor's Highlight.
- Apr 3, 2014: SAMOC Workshop planned for week of Dec 1-5, 2014 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Please mark your calendars. Further details will be posted soon.
- Feb 11, 2014: Efforts to expand the basin-wide SAMOC array (SAMBA) on both sides of the Atlantic were recently featured in a EOS news article.
- Jan 16, 2014: First data return from the pop-up system SYREDOMY deployed on the eastern boundary.
- Dec 7-17, 2013: SAMOC-BR2 cruise was completed on Universidade de Sao Paulo (USP) R/V Alpha-Delphini.
- Dec 17, 2013: GEOMAR, Helmholtz-Zentrum fur Ozeanforschung Kiel deployed an array of current meters along the western boundary near 11S in July 2013 to study variations of the MOC in the tropical Atlantic. The first mooring recovery and redeployment will be in spring 2014. The array is planned to be deployed for 4 to 5 years.
- Sep 9, 2013: Eight French CPIES and two bottom ADCP moorings have been deployed off the steep South African continental shelf and across the deep abyssal plain to 0E during a cruise on the South African Agulhas II.
- Aug 21, 2013: Graduate student and postdoctoral fellow project page added to the SAMOC website.
- Jun 11, 2013: NOAA funded PIs Renellys Perez and Silvia Garzoli (CIMAS/UM, NOAA/AOML), and Ricardo Matano (OSU/CEOAS) to investigate SAMOC water mass pathways and natural modes of variability using high-resolution coupled climate and ocean-only simulations and available in situ and satellite observations, in collaboration with Rym Msadek (UCAR, NOAA/GFDL).
- May 7, 2013: SAMOC was recently featured in a Nature news article about three field programs that seek to track changes in the Atlantic overturning circulation currents.
- Mar 30, 2013: There are several upcoming meetings with sessions of interest to the SAMOC community: AGU meeting of the Americas (Mexico, May 14-17), US AMOC/UK RAPID International Science Meeting (USA, Jul 16-19), and IAPSO meeting (Sweden, Jul 22-26).
- Jan 29-31, 2013: International workshop to discuss logistics and planning for the trans-basin SAMBA array.
- Dec 15, 2012: The 8th SAM cruise was completed, as well as the 1st SAMOC-BR cruise on board the Brazilian Alpha-Crucis. During this cruise, three Brazilian CPIES were deployed.
- Nov 6, 2012: CNPq (the Brazilian NSF) has agreed to continue funding the MOVAR-AX97 XBT line from Rio de Janeiro to Trindade Island for another 3 years (lead-PI: Mauricio Mata, Instituto de Oceanografia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande - FURG).
- Oct 23, 2012: NASA funded PIs Gustavo Goni (NOAA/AOML) and Shenfu Dong (CIMAS/UM, NOAA/AOML) to investigate the meridional variability (at seasonal to interannual time scales) of the SAMOC using altimetry observations; with a comparison/validation component using Argo, XBT, model-derived estimates.
- Aug 16, 2012: Dinner scheduled for all SAMOC partners attending the US AMOC meeting in Boulder, CO
- Jul 13, 2012: The 7th SAM cruise was completed on board R/V Puerto Deseado (CONICET, Argentina).
- Jun 22, 2012: GEOMAR, Helmholtz-Zentrum fur Ozeanforschung Kiel will be deploying an array of current meters along the western boundary near 11S in 2013 to study decadal variations of the MOC in the tropical Atlantic.
- May 14, 2012: SAMOC formally endorsed by the International CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group
- May 3, 2012: Registration for 2012 US AMOC meeting in Boulder, Colorado is open until May 18, 2012 (registration link)
- Mar 2, 2012: South Africa-SANAP awarded funds for equipment and ship time to support eastern boundary current array.
- Nov 29, 2011: Brazil-FACEPE/FAPESP and France-ANR awarded funds to augment the western and eastern boundary current arrays, respectively. Ship time also provided to support western boundary current array.
- Oct 24, 2011 - Dec 2, 2011: CO2 - Subtropical Atlantic Ocean cruise conducted by Brazil along 35S.
- Sep 27-29, 2011: SAMOC IV workshop held in Simons Town, South Africa.