To add a SAMOC related news item, send request to the SAMOC webmaster
- Sep 9, 2013: Seven French CPIES and two bottom ADCP moorings have been deployed off the steep South African continental shelf and across the deep abyssal plain to 0E during a cruise on the South African Agulhas II.
- Aug 21, 2013: Graduate student and postdoctoral fellow project page added to the SAMOC website.
- Jun 11, 2013: NOAA funded PIs Renellys Perez and Silvia Garzoli (CIMAS/UM, NOAA/AOML), and Ricardo Matano (OSU/CEOAS) to investigate SAMOC water mass pathways and natural modes of variability using high-resolution coupled climate and ocean-only simulations and available in situ and satellite observations, in collaboration with Rym Msadek (UCAR, NOAA/GFDL).
- May 7, 2013: SAMOC was recently featured in a Nature news article about three field programs that seek to track changes in the Atlantic overturning circulation currents.
- Mar 30, 2013: There are several upcoming meetings with sessions of interest to the SAMOC community: AGU meeting of the Americas (Mexico, May 14-17), US AMOC/UK RAPID International Science Meeting (USA, Jul 16-19), and IAPSO meeting (Sweden, Jul 22-26).
- Jan 29-31, 2013: International workshop to discuss logistics and planning for the trans-basin SAMBA array.
- Dec 15, 2012: The 8th SAM cruise was completed, as well as the 1st SAMOC-BR cruise on board the Brazilian Alpha-Crucis. During this cruise, three Brazilian CPIES were deployed.
- Nov 6, 2012: CNPq (the Brazilian NSF) has agreed to continue funding the MOVAR-AX97 XBT line from Rio de Janeiro to Trindade Island for another 3 years (lead-PI: Mauricio Mata, Instituto de Oceanografia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande - FURG).
- Oct 23, 2012: NASA funded PIs Gustavo Goni (NOAA/AOML) and Shenfu Dong (CIMAS/UM, NOAA/AOML) to investigate the meridional variability (at seasonal to interannual time scales) of the SAMOC using altimetry observations; with a comparison/validation component using Argo, XBT, model-derived estimates.
- Aug 16, 2012: Dinner scheduled for all SAMOC partners attending the US AMOC meeting in Boulder, CO
- Jul 13, 2012: The 7th SAM cruise was completed on board R/V Puerto Deseado (CONICET, Argentina).
- Jun 22, 2012: GEOMAR, Helmholtz-Zentrum fur Ozeanforschung Kiel will be deploying an array of current meters along the western boundary near 11S in 2013 to study decadal variations of the MOC in the tropical Atlantic.
- May 14, 2012: SAMOC formally endorsed by the International CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group
- May 3, 2012: Registration for 2012 US AMOC meeting in Boulder, Colorado is open until May 18, 2012 (registration link)
- Mar 2, 2012: South Africa-SANAP awarded funds for equipment and ship time to support eastern boundary current array.
- Nov 29, 2011: Brazil-FACEPE/FAPESP and France-ANR awarded funds to augment the western and eastern boundary current arrays, respectively. Ship time also provided to support western boundary current array.
- Oct 24, 2011 - Dec 2, 2011: CO2 - Subtropical Atlantic Ocean cruise conducted by Brazil along 35S.
- Sep 27-29, 2011: SAMOC IV workshop held in Simons Town, South Africa.