Other Years' Publications :
Hurricanes, Typhoons and Tropical Cyclones Reviewed Articles and
Books - 1997
Compiled by Noel Charles and Chris Landsea (NHC)
This is a compilation both of all reviewed research papers and books (or chapters
of books) on tropical cyclones that were published in 1997 as received
at the NOAA/AOML library.
If there are any additions or corrections, please
email me directly.
All Available Journals - 1997
Australian Meteorological Magazine
- Sheperd I. J., and P. W. Bate, 1997: The South Pacific and
southeast Indian Ocean tropical cyclone season. Aus. Meteor.
Mag., 46, 143-152
- Callaghan J., 1997: The South Pacific and southeast Indian
Ocean tropical cyclone season 1995-1996. Aus. Meteor.
Mag., 46, 325-340
Boundary Layer Meteorology
Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Zhang Z., and T. N. Krishnamurti, 1997: Ensemble forecasting
and hurricane tracks, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 78,
Dynamics of the Atmosphere and Ocean
Geophysical Research Letters
International Journal Of Climatology
- Jarzembski, M. A., V. Srivastava, E. W. McCaul, Jr., G. J.
Jedlovec, R. J. Atkinson, R. F. Pueschel, and D. R. Cutten, 1997:
Comparison of lidar backscatter with particle distribution and
GOES-7 data in Hurricane Juliette. Geo. Res. Letters, 24,
- Saunders, M. A., and A. R. Harris, 1997: Statistical
evidence links exceptional 1995 Atlantic hurricane season to
record sea warming. Geo. Res. Letters, 24, 1255-1258
- Wilson, R. M., 1997: Comment on "Downward trends in the
frequency of intense Atlantic hurricanes during the past 5
decades" by C. W. Landsea et al. Geo. Res. Letters, 24,
- Landsea, C. W., N. Nicholls, W. M. Gray, and L. A. Avila,
1997: Reply. Geo. Res. Letters, 24, 2205
- Walsh, K.J.E. and R. Kleeman, 1997: Predicting decadal
variations in Atlantic tropical cyclone numbers and Australian
rainfall. Geo. Res. Letters, 24, 3249-3252
Journal of Applied Meteorology
Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences
Journal of Climate
- Bender, M.A., 1997: The effect of relative flow on the
asymmetric structure in the interior of hurricanes. J. Atmos.
- Holland G. J., 1997: The maximum potential intensity of
tropical cyclones. J. Atmos. Sci., 54, 2519-2541
Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmosphere)
- Knaff, J. A., 1997: Implications of summertime sea level
pressure anomalies in the tropical Atlantic region. J.
Climate, 10, 789-804
- Walsh K., and I. G. Watterson, 1997: Tropical cyclone-like
vortices in a limited area model: Comparison with observed
climatology. J. Climate, 10, 2240-2259
- Chu P., and J. Wang, 1997: Tropical cyclone occurrences in
the vicinity of Hawaii: Are the differences between El Nino and
Non-El Nino Years significant? J. Climate, 10, 2683-2689
- Whitney L. D., and J. S. Hobgood, 1997: The relationship
between sea surface temperature and maximum intensities of
tropical cyclones in the north-eastern Pacific Ocean. J.
Climate, 10, 2921-2930
Journal of Physical Oceanography
- Krasilnikov E. Y., 1997: Electromagnetohydrodynamic nature of
tropical cyclones, hurricanes and tornadoes. J. Geophys.
Res., D12, 13,571-13,581
Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan
- Shay L. K., and S. W. Chang, 1997: Free surface on the
near-inertial ocean response to a hurricane: A Revisit. J.
Phys. Ocean., 27, 23-39
- Ming Y. T., P. Holloway, and R. Grimshaw, 1997: A numerical
study of the storm surge by Tropical Cyclone Jane. J. Phys.
Ocean., 27, 963-976
Mariner's Weather Log
- Shimazu Y., 1997: Wide slow-moving rainbands and narrow
fast-moving rainbands observed in Typhoon 8913. J. Meteor.
Soc. Japan, 75, 67-80
- Peng M. S., and S. W. Chang, 1997: Predicting Typhoon Flo
of 1990 assimilation of rainfall rates inferred from infrared
brightness temperature. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 75, 1073-1089
Monthly Weather Review
- Staff, 1997: Hurricane Hunters, Mar. Wea. Log.,
- Staff, 1997: Observing Hurricane Fran with an automated surface
observation system, (Spring), 14
- Staff, 1997: Drifting buoys monitor tropical storm genesis
in eastern Atlantic, (Winter), 50
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
- Ritchie, E. A., and G. J. Holland, 1997: Scale interactions
during the formation of Typhoon Irving. Mon. Wea. Rev.,
- Walsh, K., 1997: Objective detection of tropical cyclones in
high-resolution analyses. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 1767-1779
- Lehmiller, G. S., T. B. Kimberlain, and J. B. Elsner, 1997:
Seasonal prediction models for North Atlantic basin hurricane
location. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 1780-1791
- Carr III, L. E., M. A. Boothe, and R. L. Elsberry, 1997:
Observational evidence for alternate mode of track-altering
binary tropical cyclone scenarios. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125,
- Simpson, J., E. Ritchie, G. J. Holland, J. Halverson, and S.
Stewart, 1997: Mesoscale interactions in tropical cyclone
genesis. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 2643-2661
- Bister, M., and K. A. Emanuel., 1997: The genesis of
Hurricane Guillermo: TEXMEX analyses and modeling study. Mon.
Wea. Rev., 125, pg. 2662-2682
- Farfan, L. M., and J. A. Zehnder, 1997: Orographic
influence on the synoptic-scale circulations associated with the
genesis of Hurricane Guillermo (1991). Mon. Wea. Rev.,
- Molinari, J., D. Knight, M. Dickinson, D. Vollaro, and S.
Skubis, 1997: Potential vorticity, easterly waves, and Eastern
Pacific tropical cyclogenesis. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125,
- Monaldo, F. M., T. D. Sikora, S. M. Babin, and R. E.
Sterner, 1997: Satellite imagery of sea surface temperature
cooling in the wake of Hurricane Edouard (1996). Mon. Wea.
Rev., 125, 2716-2721
- Li, J., N. E. Davidson, G. D. Hess, and G. Mills, 1997: A
high resolution prediction study of two typhoons at landfall.
Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 2856-2878
- Liu, Y., D. Zhang, M. K. Yau, 1997: A multiscale numerical
study of Hurricane Andrew (1992). Part I: Explicit simulation and
verification. Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 3073-3093
Russian Meteorology and Hydrology
- Dengler K., 1997: A numerical study of the effects of land
proximity and changes in sea surface on hurricane tracks. Q.
J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 123, 1307-1322
Tellus, Series A
- Pokhil, A. E., N. A. Nikolskaya, 1997: The behavior of some
typhoons in the Pacific in the 1994 Season. Russ. Meteor.
Hydrol., 6, 7-19
- Yurchak, B. S., 1997: Radar study of the eye of Tropical
Cyclone Irving passing over the Gulf of Tonkin. Russ. Meteor.
Hydrol., 6, 11
- Pokhil, A. E., I. G. Sitnikov, and S. A. Galkin, 1997:
Interaction of three ideal vortices in a numerical model and the
behavior of a group of real tropical cyclones in the Pacific.
Russ. Meteor. Hydrol., 19-28
- Landsea, C. W., 1997: Comments on "Will greenhouse
gas-induced warming over the next 50 years lead higher frequency
and greater intensity of hurricanes?" Tellus, 49A,
- Bengtsson, L., M. Botzet, and M. Esch, 1997: Reply to:
Comments on "Will greenhouse gas-induced warming over the next
50 years lead higher frequency and greater intensity of
hurricanes?" Tellus, 49A, 624
Weather and Forecasting
- James, H. R. 1997: Hurricanes Hardly Happen,
Weather, 52, 351
- Aberson, S. D., 1997: The predication of the performance of
a nested barotropic hurricane track forecast model, Wea.
Forecast., 12, 24-30
- Spratt, S. M., D. W. Sharp, P. Welsh, A. Sandrik, F.
Alsheimer, and C. Paxton, 1997: A WSR-88D assessment of tropical
cyclone outer rainband tornadoes. Wea. Forecast., 12,
- Krishnamurti, T. N., R. C. Torres, G. Rohaly, D. Oosterhof,
and N. Surgi, 1997: Physical initialization and hurricane
ensemble forecast. Wea. Forecast., 12, 503-514
- Fitzpatrick, P. J., 1997: Understanding and forecasting
tropical cyclone intensity change with the typhoon intensity
prediction scheme (TIPS), Wea. Forecast., 12, 826-846
- Tulyea, R. E., and S. J. Lord, 1997: The impact of
dropwindsone data on GFDL hurricane model forests using global
analyses. Wea. Forecast., 12, 307-323
Earth Obs. Remote Sensing
- Rosenfeld, J., 1997: Storm Surge! (A hurricane's most
powerful and deadly force), Weatherwise, 50, 18-24
- Avila, L. A., 1997: Atlantic hurricane season,
Weatherwise, 50, 25-27
- Rappaport, E. N., and M. Mayfield, 1997: Eastern Pacific
hurricanes, Weatherwise, 50, 42-43
Phys. Chem. Earth
- Balebanov V.M., Moiseev S. S., Sharkov E.A., Lupyan E. A., Kalmykov, A.I.,
Zabyshnyi, A. I., Kuzmin A. K., Smirnov N. K., Tsymbal V. N., and
Chikov K. N., 1997: The Helix Project: Space monitoring of the ocean-
troposphere-upper atmosphere system during conditions the large-scale
crisis. Earth Obs. Remote Sensing, 14, 823-835.
- Pokrovskaya I. V., and Sharkov E.A., 1997: Remote study of the spatial
fields of moisture content in the tropical atmosphere in the process of
cyclogenesis. Earth Obs. Remote Sensing, 14, 875-889.
- Sharkov E.A., 1997: The Global tropical cyclogenesis as a geophysical
system slightly out of equilibrium. Earth Obs. Remote Sensing, 14, 865-874.
- Sharkov E. A., 1997: Airspace observations of tropical cyclones. Earth
Research from Space ( Earth Obs. Remote Sensing - Engl. Transl. ), 6, 78-111.
Various other journals
- Moiseev S. S., Onishchenko O. G. , Sharkov E. A., Branover H. H and
Eidelman A. E., 1997: Influence of variations of dissipation and pressure
on formation of coherent structures in geophysical media. Phys. Chem.
Earth, 21, 545-547.
- Birkland, T., 1997: Factors inhibiting a national hurricane policy. Coastal
Management: An International Journal of Marine Environment, Resources, Law,
and Society, 25 4
- Burke, M.F., 1997: Keeping a lid on hurricane risk. Risk Management, 44 5
- Burnett, K., G. Ironson, C. Benight, and C. Wynings, 1997: Measurement of
perceived disruption during rebuilding following Hurricane Andrew.
Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10 4
- Changnon, S.A., D. Changnon, E.R. Fossee, D.C. Hoganson, R.J. Roth, Sr.,
and J.M. Totsch, 1997: Effects of recent weather extremes on the insurance
industry: Major implications for the atmospheric sciences. Bulletin of the
American Meteorological Society, 78 3
- Damian, F., C.C. Atkinson, and T. Powers, 1997: Disaster relief efforts after
Hurricane Marilyn: A pediatric team's experience in St. Thomas. Journal
Emergency Nursing, 23 6
- Godbee, D. C. and J.W. Odom, 1997: Utilization of special forces medical
assets during disaster relief: The Hurricane Andrew experience. Military
Medicine, 162 2, 1997
- Grant, S. M., S.B. Hardin, D.J. Pesut, and T. Hardin, 1997: Psychological
evaluations, referrals, and follow-up of adolescents after their exposure to
Hurricane Hugo. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric and Mental
Health Nursing, 10 1
- Hendrickson, L.A., R.L., Vogt, D. Goebert, and E. Pon, 1997: Morbidity on
Kauai before and after Hurricane Iniki. Preventine Medicine, 26 5/1
- Howe, M.L., 1997: Children's memory for traumatic experiences. Learn
Individual Differ, 9 2
- Ironson, G., C. Wynings, and M.A. Fletcher, 1997: Posttraumatic stress
symptoms, intrusive thoughts, loss, and immune function after Hurricane
Andrew. Psychosomatic Medicine, 59 2
- Jaffee, D.M. and R. Russell, 1997: Catastrophe insurance, capital markets,
and uninsurable risks. Journal of Risk Insurance, 64 2
- Jenkins, S.R., 1997: Coping and social support among emergency dispatchers:
Hurricane Andrew. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 12 1
- Khoury, E.L., G.J. Warheit, and A.G. Gil, 1997: The impact of Hurricane
Andrew on deviant behavior among a multi-racial/ethnic sample of adolescents
in Dade County, Florida: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of Traumatic
Stress, 10 1
- Peterson, E., 1997: Big disasters for a small town. Public Management,
- Pielke Jr., R. A., 1997: Reframing the U.S. hurricane problem. Society and
Natural Resources, 10 5
- Piotrowski, C., T. Armstrong, and H. Stopp, 1997: Stress factors in the
aftermath of Hurricanes Erin and Opal: Data from small business owners.
Psychol Rep, 80 3
- Tibbetts, J., 1997: Hurricanes 101: Lessons on saving lives and property.
Coastal Heritage, 12 1
- Tibbetts, J., 1997: The great escape: Fleeing the water's edge.
Coastal Heritage, 12 1
- Webb, C. A., D.M. Bush, and R.S. Young, 1997: Property damage mitigation
lessons from Hurricane Opal: The Florida Panhandle Coast, October 4, 1995.
Journal of Coastal Research, 13 1
- Diaz, H. F., and R. S. Pulwarty (Eds.), 1997: "Hurricanes -
Climate and Socioeconomic Impacts", Springer, New York, 292pp.
Diaz, Pulwarty, Gray, Sheaffer, Landsea, Emanuel, Bengtsson, Botzet,
Esch, Rappaport, Fernandez-Partagas, Doyle, Girod, Rodriquez, Pielke, Jr.,
Pielke, Sr., Riebsame, Watson, Vermeiren, Felts, Smith, Jamieson, Drury,
Roth, and Clark.)
- Pielke, Jr., R. A., and R. A. Pielke, Sr., 1997:
"Hurricanes - Their Nature and Impacts on Society", Wiley, New
- William, J. M., and I. W. Duedall, 1997: "Florida
Tropical Storms", University Press of Florida, Gainesville, 146pp.