Other Years' Publications :
Hurricanes, Typhoons and Tropical Cyclones Reviewed Articles and
Books - 1994
Compiled by Noel Charles and Chris Landsea (NHC)
This is a compilation both of all reviewed research papers and books (or chapters
of books) on tropical cyclones that were published in 1994 as received
at the CSU Atmospheric Science library.
If there are any additions or corrections, please
email me directly.
All Available Journals - 1994
Acta Meteorologica Sinica
- "A global view of the relationship between ENSO and tropical
cyclone frequency", D. Keqin and G.J. Holland, 19-29
- "Effect of energy dispersion on the structure and motion of
tropical cyclone", L. Zhexian, 51-59
- "Numerical simulation of tropical cyclone movement with the
related critical point phenomenon", L. Zhexian, 161-167
- "Kinematic analysis of Typhoon Polly (No. 9216)", H. Wei and
T. Zuyu, 450-461
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
- "Vertical structure of beta gyres and its effect on tropical
cyclone motion", T. Yongxiang and L. Zhexian, 43-50
- "Study of effects of beta term and nonlinear advection on the
structure of tropical cyclones", L. Zhexian, 391-398
- "Seasonal variation features of Western North Pacific
tropical cyclone tracks with their predictability", P. Yongqing
and Y. Shaojin, 463-469
Australian Meteorological Magazine
- "The South Pacific and southeast Indian Ocean tropical
cyclone season 1991-92", J.P. Gill, 181-192
Boundary Layer Meteorology
Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- "Damage survey of Hurricane Andrew and its relationship to
the eyewall", R.M. Wakimoto and P.G. Black, 189-202
- "Historical developments leading to current forecast models
of annual Atlantic hurricane activity", J.C. Hess and J.B.
- "Real-time guidance provided by NOAA's Hurricane Research
Division to forecasters during Emily of 1993", R.W. Burpee, S.D.
Aberson, P.G. Black, M. DeMaria, J.L. Franklin, J.S. Griffin,
S.H. Houston, J. Kaplan, S.J. Lord, F.D. Marks, Jr., M.D. Powell,
and H.E. Willoughby, 1765-1783
- "Global climate change and tropical cyclones", J. Lighthill,
G. Holland, W. Gray, C. Landsea, G. Craig, J. Evans, Y. Kurihara,
C. Guard, 2147-2157
Chinese Journal of Atmospheric Sciences
- "Effect of smaller vortices in the peripheral region on
typhoon structure", L. Zhexian, 299-306
Dynamics of the Atmosphere and Ocean
Earth Obs. Rem. Sens.
Geophysical Research Letters
- Astafyeva, N.M., Pokrovskaya, I.V. and Sharkov, E.A., 1994:
Hierachical structure of global tropical cyclogenesis. Earth
Research from Space (Earth Obs. Rem. Sens.- Engl.
Transl.), 2, 14-23
- Pokrovskaya, I.V. and Sharkov, E.A., 1994: Poisson
stochastic features of global tropical cyclogenesis. Earth
Research from Space. (Earth Obs. Rem.
Sens. -Engl. Transl.), 2, 24-33.
- "Extended-range hindcasts of tropical-origin Atlantic
hurricane activity", J.C. Hess and J.B. Elsner, 365-368
International Journal of Climatology
- "Prediction of the interannual variations of tropical cyclone
movement over regions of the Western North Pacific", J.C.L. Chan,
Izvestiya (through #6, 1994)
Journal of Applied Meteorology
- "A satellite observational and numerical study of
precipitation characteristics in Western North Atlantic tropical
cyclones", E.B. Rogers, S.W. Chang, and H.F. Pierce, 129-139
- "The environmental influence on tropical cyclone
precipitation", E.B. Rogers, J.J. Baik, and H.F. Pierce, 573-593
Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
- "A technique for detecting a tropical cyclone center using a
doppler radar", V.T. Wood, 1207-1216
Journal of Atmospheric Sciences
- "Barotropic dynamics of the beta gyres and beta drift", X. Li
and B. Wang, 746-756
- "Intense vortex motion on the beta plane: Development of the
beta gyres", G.G. Sutyrin and G.R. Flierl, 773-790
- "Numerical studies of the beta effect in tropical cyclone
motion. Part II: Zonal mean flow effects", R.T. Williams and
J.C.L. Chan, 1065-1076
- "On hurricane outflow structure", C. Wu and K.A. Emmanuel,
- "The role of baroclinic processes in tropical cyclone motion:
The influence of vertical tilt", M. Flatau, W.H. Schubert, and
D.E. Stevens, 2589-2601
- "Comments on 'Hurricane Spiral Bands'", L.R. Schade,
- "Reply", T.A. Guinn and W.H. Schubert, 3545-3546
Journal of Climate
- "Interannual variability of the onset of the Indian summer
monsoon and its association with atmospheric features, El Nino,
and sea surface temperature anomalies", P.V. Joseph, J.K.
Eischeid, and R.J. Pyle, 81-105
- "A numerical exploration of the sensitivity of tropical
cyclone rainfall intensity to sea surface temperature", J.L.
Evans, B.F. Ryan, and J.L. McGregor, 616-623
- "Sea surface temperature and the maximum intensity of
Atlantic tropical cyclones", M. DeMaria and J. Kaplan, 1324-1334
Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmospheres)
- "Cluster analysis of eastern North Pacific tropical
cyclogenesis precursors", J.B. Mozer and J.A. Zehnder, 8085-8094
- "Cloud-to-ground lightning in Hurricane Andrew", J. Molinari,
P.K. Moore, V.P. Idone, R.W. Henderson, and A.B. Saljoughy,
Journal of Parallel Algorithms and Applications
- "An experiment in hurricane track prediction using parallel
computing methods", C. Song, J-S. Jwo, S. Lakshmivarahan, S.
Dhall, J. Lewis, and C. Velden, 315-332
Journal of Physical Oceanography
- "A storm surge prediction model for the Northern Bay of
Bengal with application to the cyclone disaster in April 1991",
R.A. Flather, 172-190
- "Forced stage response to a moving hurricane", J.F. Price,
T.B. Sanford, and G.Z. Forristall, 233-260
Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan
- "The relationship between tropical cyclones of the Western
Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Madden-Julian Oscillation", B.
Liebmann, H.H. Hendon, and J.D. Glick, 401-412
Mariners Weather Log
- "Western North Pacific typhoons, 1992", Staff - Joint Typhoon
Warning Center, 34-40
Mausam (through April 1994)
- "Climatological study of the cyclonic storms crossing the
east coast of India", G.S. Ganesan, A. Muthuchami, and E. R.
- "Perturbations in upper tropospheric easterlies and Bay
cyclones", G.R. Gupta and R. Chand, 115-120
- "Forecasting the movement of tropical cyclones at the Met.
Office", A.M. Radford, 355-363
Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics
Monthly Weather Review
- "Tropical storm development and decay: Sensitivity to
surface boundary conditions", R.E. Tuleya, 291-304
- "Atlantic hurricane season of 1992", M. Mayfield, L.A. Avila,
and E.N. Rappaport, 517-538
- "Atlantic tropical systems of 1992", R.J. Pasch and L.A.
- "Eastern North Pacific hurricane season of 1992", M.B.
Lawrence and E.N. Rappaport, 549-558
- "An exploratory analysis of the relationship between tropical
storm formation in the Western North Pacific and ENSO", M.A.
- "The formation of hurricane Frederic of 1979", T.N.
Krishnamurti, H.S. Bedi, D. Oosterhof, and V. Hardiker, 1050-1074
- "Evaluation of a tropical cyclone bogusing method in data
assimilation and forecasting", E. Serrano and P. Unden, 1523-1547
- "The SSM/I estimated rainfall amounts of tropical cyclones
and their potential in predicting the cyclone intensity changes",
G.V. Rao and P.D. MacArthur, 1568-1574
- "Cloud-to-ground lightning in tropical cyclones: A study of
hurricanes Hugo (1989) and Jerry (1989)", C.E. Samsury and R.E.
- "Observations of lightning in convective supercells within
tropical storms and hurricanes", W.A. Lyons and C.S. Keen, 1897-1896
- "Unusually strong vertical motions in a Caribbean hurricane",
R.A. Black, H.B. Bluestein, and M.L. Black, 2722-2739
- "Verification of a nested barotropic hurricane track forecast
model (VICBAR)", S.D. Aberson and M. DeMaria, 2804-2815
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological
- "An idealized study of African easterly waves. I: A linear
view", C.D. Thorncroft and B.J. Hoskins, 953-982
- "An idealized study of African easterly waves. II: A
nonlinear view", C.D. Thorncroft and B.J. Hoskins, 983-1016
- "The development of potential vorticity in a hurricane-like
vortex", J.D. Moller and R.K. Smith, 1255-1266
Russian Meteorology and Hydrology
Sov. J. Remote Sensing
- "Annual variability of global tropical cyclogenesis", I.V.
Pokrovskaya and E.A. Sharkov, 4, 14-20
- "Estimation of the possibility of tropical cyclogenesis from
instability energy", S.L. Lebedev and L.I. Petrova, 5, 44-49
- "Results of operational tests and modification of
dynamic-statistical method for typhoon intensity forecast", E. A.
Agrenich, 5, 50-54
- "The influence of the structure of interacting vortices on
their movement", A.E. Pokhil and I.V. Polyakova, 7, 11-16
- "Some statistical characteristics and features of typhoons",
A.N. Bagrov and E.A. Loktionova, 11, 44-57
- Klepikov, I.N., Pokrovskaya, I.V. and Sharkov, E.A., 1994:
Structure of a
database of space and hydrometeorological observations of mesoscale
tropical disturbances. Sov.J.Remote Sensing, 11, 468-479.
- Pokrovskaya, I.V., Sharkov, E.A., Klepikov, I.N., and
1994: Structure of data base for global tropical cyclogenesis remote
sensing. Sov. J. Remote Sensing., 11, 981-989.
Tellus, Series A
Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- "Numerical prediction of a Bangladesh tropical cyclone", T.N.
Krishnamurti, D. Oosterhof, and D. Sukawat, 245-276
- "Orographic effects on the structure of typhoons: Analyses
of two typhoons crossing Taiwan", C. Tsay, 313-334
Theoretical and Applied Climatology
- "Hurricane Andrew", E.N. Rappaport, 51-60
- "The Great Bengal cyclone of 1737 - an enquiry into the
legend", A.K. Sensarma, 90-93
- "Seasonal forecasting of Atlantic hurricane activity", C.W.
Landsea, W.M. Gray, P.W. Mielke, Jr., and K.J. Berry, 273-284
Weather and Forecasting
- "Predicting Atlantic basin seasonal tropical cyclone activity
by 1 June," W.M. Gray, C.W. Landsea, P.W. Mielke, Jr., and K.J.
- "A statistical hurricane intensity prediction scheme (SHIPS)
for the Atlantic basin", M. DeMaria and J. Kaplan, 209-220
- "Wind profiler observations of tropical storm Flo at Saipan",
P.T. May, G.J. Holland, and W.L. Ecklund, 410-426
- "Observed and modeled wind and water-level response from
tropical storm Marco (1990)", S.H. Houston and M.D. Powell, 427-439
"The impact of hurricane Andrew on the near-surface marine
environment in the Bahamas and the Gulf of Mexico", L.C. Breaker,
L.D. Burroughs, Y.Y. Chao, J.F. Culp, N.L. Guinasso, Jr., R.L.
Teboulle, and C.R. Wong, 542-556
- "Assimilation of synthetic tropical cyclone observations into
the Navy operations global atmospheric prediction system", J.S.
Goerss and R.A. Jeffries, 557-576
- "The capture of tropical cyclones by cold fronts off the west
coast of Australia", G.R. Foley and B.N. Hanstrum, 577-592
- "Description of a monsoon gyre and its effects on the
tropical cyclones in the western North Pacific during August
1991", M.A. Lander, 640-654
- "Atlantic hurricanes", E.N. Rappaport and R.J. Pasch, 38-43
- "Eastern Pacific hurricanes", L.A. Avila and M. Mayfield,
- "Inside the hurricane center", D. Iacovelli, 28-32 (JJ)
Russian Academy of Sciences/Earth Science Section
(Doklady Acad. Nauk.)
- Gdalevich, G.L., Pokrovskaya, I.V. and Sharkov, E.A., 1994:
Magnitospheric processes as stimulators of global tropical
cyclogenesis Cosmic Research - Engl. Transl., 32, 108-111.
- Astafyeva, N.M., Pokrovskaya, I.V. and Sharkov, E.A., 1994:
properties of global tropical cyclogenesis
Russian Academy of Sciences/Earth Science Section,
- "Florida Hurricanes and Tropical Storms, 1871-1993, An
Historical Survey", F. Doehring, I.W. Duedall, and J.M.
Williams, 1994, Tp-71, Florida Sea Grant College Program,
Gainesville, Florida, USA, 118 pp
- "Cyclone Tracy, Picking up the pieces", B. Bunbury,
1994, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, South Fremantle, Australia,
- "Hurricanes of 1992", Proceedings of a Symposium
organized by the American Society of Civil Engineers, Miami,
December 1-3, 1993, Edited by R.A. Cook and M. Soltani, ASCE,
New York, 808 pp