Dr. Heather M. Holbach
Hurricane Research Division-- Northern Gulf Institute
NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
Dr. Holbach is a Northern Gulf Institute Postdoctoral Scholar at FSU/COAPS and NOAA/AOML's Hurricane Research Division in Miami, FL. Her research interests are in air/sea interaction, remote sensing, and tropical cyclones. Her current research focuses on improving the wind speed estimates retrieved by the Stepped-Frequency Microwave Radiometer (SFMR), which is flown on the NOAA P-3 and Air Force C-130 hurricane hunter aircraft, to account for impacts related to wind direction and directional sea state.
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Zawislak, J., R.F. Rogers, S.D. Aberson, G.J. Alaka, G. Alvey, A. Aksoy, L. Bucci, J. Cione, N. Dorst, J. Dunion, M. Fischer, J. Gamache, S. Gopalakrishnan, A. Hazelton, H.M. Holbach, J. Kaplan, H. Leighton, F. Marks, S.T. Murillo, P. Reasor, K. Ryan, K. Sellwood, J.A. Sippel, and J.A. Zhang. Accomplishments of NOAA’S airborne hurricane field program and a broader future approach to forecast improvement. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 103(2):E311-E338, https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-20-0174.1 2022
- Stow, J.P., M.A. Bourassa, and H.M. Holbach. Analyzing gaps and hurricane rain coverage to inform NASA satellite proposals. Remote Sensing, 12(17):2673, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12172673 2020
- Bourassa, M.A., T. Meissner, I. Cerovecki, P.S. Chang, X. Dong, G. De Chiara, C. Donlon, D. Dukhovskoy, J. Elya, A. Fore, M.R. Fewings, R.C. Foster, S.T. Gille, B.K. Haus, S. Hristova-Veleva, H.M. Holbach, Z. Jelenak, J.A. Knaff, S.A. Kranz, A. Manaster, M. Mazloff, C. Mears, A. Mouche, M. Portabella, N. Reul, L. Ricciardulli, E. Rodriguez, C. Sampson, D. Solis, A. Stoffelen, M.R. Stukel, B. Styles, D. Weissman, and F. Wentz. Remotely sensed winds and wind stresses for marine forecasting and ocean modeling. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6:443, doi:10.3389/fmars.2019.00443 2019
- Klotz, B. H. Holbach, and A. Garcia, 2017: Reprocessing the Tropical Cyclone SFMR database: Procedures and Evaluation. 2017 International Ocean Vector Winds Science Team Meeting, May, La Jolla, California.
- Holbach, H., M. A. Bourassa, and B. Klotz, 2016: Sea State Influence on SFMR Wind Speed Retrievals in Tropical Cyclones. International Workshop on Measuring High Wind Speeds Over the Ocean, November, Exeter, United Kingdom.
- Holbach, H., E. Uhlhorn, M. A. Bourassa, and B. Klotz, 2016: Wave and Wind Direction Effects on Ocean Surface Emissivity in High Wind Conditions. AMS 20th Conference on Air-Sea Interaction, August, Madison, Wisconsin.