Monday May 7: 7PM Icebreaker at “Alamo”
The meeting will start at 9AM Tuesday May 8 and will end at 5 PM Thursday May 10.
The schedule for the meals will be as follows:
Breakfast: 7AM to 8:30 AM
Coffee Breaks: 10:30 to 10:45 AM
3:00 to 3:15 PM
Lunch: 12:00 to 01:30 PM
Rooms are located at: 19 at “Condor” 2 at “ñandu” and the rest in the main house (“Casco”, not shown in the map) that is located next to the “Carruajes” building. The sessions will take place at “Lapacho”. Attached is a map of Estancia San Ceferino.
The Agenda is tentative and will evolve based on the discussions.
Names on Sessions 2 for presentations are tentative. They are based it on the information I have. Can be changed or added as requested. If I forgot someone, I apologize. Please let me know.
Tuesday May 8, 9 AM to 12:00 Noon
• Introduction and objectives of the Workshop (Garzoli)
• SA MOC as a US Ocean Priority (Lindstrom)
• Messages from Mike Johnson and Jim Todd (Garzoli)
• The Aquarius/SAC-D(Lagerloef, Colomb)
• Argo (Piotrowicz)
• The South Atlantic Circulation and its role in Climate (Piola)
• Inter-ocean exchanges. Large scale observations and models (Speich)
• Will slowing of the MOC warm or cool Europe? (Nof)
• The impacts of changes in the MOC on the south Atlantic climate and variability (Campos)
Session 2: Inter-ocean and Inter-hemispheric exchanges:
This session will have the following format.
Participants will be invited to make short (3 to 4 slides) presentations leading
to answer the following questions for each of the three topics above:
• What observations are in place?
• What observations are proposed?
• What is the objective of each one of the programs?
• What are the observations telling us?
• Can these plans be integrated to build an ocean-scale observing network/experiment?
• What validation of models has already been done in the region?
• What are the models telling us?
Tuesday May 8 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM:
Session 2.1: Inter-ocean exchanges Pacific/Atlantic
Tuesday May 8, 4:30 to 5:30 PM
Wednesday May 9, 8:30 AM to 11:00 noon
Session 2.2: Inter-ocean exchanges Indian/Atlantic
Wednesday May 9, 11:00 to 12:00 Noon
Wednesday May 9, 1:30 to 4:00 PM
Session 2.3: Meridional inter-hemispheric fluxes
Wednesday May 9, 4:pm to 5:PM
Thursday 8:30 AM to 5PM
• 8:30 to 9:30 AM. Three participants will de assigned to make a 15-minute summary presentation on Sessions 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 (methodologies, models and observations).
9:30 AM to 12:00 noon. Creation of three working groups according to the (three)
topics of session 2:
• Discussion: Are the current monitoring efforts sufficient? What else is needed?
• How to coordinate modeling and observational efforts?
• How build a coherent program from the various observational and modeling efforts
Session 4: (12:00 noon to 5 PM): Plenary. The design of an experiment for monitoring
the SA component of the MOC.
• Review of the three groups
• General discussion and deliberations
• Assignments to write a plan.
17:00 PM Adjourn
The buss to BA will leave at 6PM.