Throughout the month of October, AOML scientists were hard at work surveying south Florida’s coastal waters. The research team focused on monitoring water quality, seagrass beds, and juvenile sport fish populations throughout Florida Bay, Biscayne Bay, Florida Keys and the southwest Florida shelf. These surveys assessed ocean temperatures, salinity, nutrients, environmental DNA and primary productivity to better understand how south Florida’s coastal ecosystems were impacted by the passage of Hurricane Irma.
- A beautiful sunset from the R/V Walton Smith. Image credit: NOAA
- Port of Miami from R/V Walton Smith. Image credit: NOAA
- Scientists surveying for sportfish in the Florida Bay Post Irma. Photo Credit NOAA AOML.
- Skyline view of downtown Miami. Photo Credit: AOML/ NOAA.
- Scientists deploying the CTD. Image credit: NOAA
- Scientists collecting water samples from the Niskin bottles. Image credit: NOAA