NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
My interests include: Tropical cyclones and their genesis, African Easterly Waves, aircraft observations including SFMR and Doppler radar, data assimilation of TC observations, track and intensity forecasts of tropical cyclones
Current Research Projects
- Klotz, B.W., and E.W. Uhlhorn. Improved stepped frequency microwave radiometer tropical cyclone surface winds in heavy precipitation. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 31(11):2392-2408, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-14-00028.1 2014.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2017: Examination of Surface Wind Asymmetries in Tropical Cyclones: Part I. General Structure and Wind Shear Impacts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 145, 3989–4009, doi: 10.1175/MWR-D-17-0019.1.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2016: Global composites of surface wind speeds in tropical cyclones based on a 12 year scatterometer database. Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 10,480–10,488.
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Chen, N., T. Tang, J.A. Zhang, L.-M. Ma, and H. Yu. On the distribution of helicity in the tropical cyclone boundary layer from dropsonde composites. Atmospheric Research, 249:105298, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2020.105298 2021
- Aberson, S.D., and J. Kaplan. The relationship between the Madden-Julian Oscillation and tropical cyclone rapid intensification. Weather and Forecasting, 35(10):1865-1870, https://doi.org/10.1175/WAF-D-19-0209.1 2020
- Alaka, G.J., D. Sheinin, B. Thomas, L. Gramer, Z. Zhang, B. Liu, H.-S. Kim, and A. Mehra. A hydrodynamical atmosphere/ocean coupled modeling system for multiple tropical cyclones. Atmosphere, 11(8):869, https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos11080869 2020