NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
My interests include: Tropical cyclones and their genesis, African Easterly Waves, aircraft observations including SFMR and Doppler radar, data assimilation of TC observations, track and intensity forecasts of tropical cyclones
Current Research Projects
- Klotz, B.W., and E.W. Uhlhorn. Improved stepped frequency microwave radiometer tropical cyclone surface winds in heavy precipitation. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 31(11):2392-2408, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-14-00028.1 2014.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2017: Examination of Surface Wind Asymmetries in Tropical Cyclones: Part I. General Structure and Wind Shear Impacts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 145, 3989–4009, doi: 10.1175/MWR-D-17-0019.1.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2016: Global composites of surface wind speeds in tropical cyclones based on a 12 year scatterometer database. Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 10,480–10,488.
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Abdool-Ghany, A.A., J.S. Klaus, L.E. Sosa Villegas, T. D’Alessio, M.L. Gidley, C.D. Sinigalliano, C. Gaston, and H.M. Solo-Gabriele. Microbial communities in the water surface microlayer and associations with microbes in aerosols, beach sand, and bulk water. Microbiology Ecology, 99(5):fiad039, https://doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiad039 2023
- Aguiar, W., S.-K. Lee, H. Lopez, S. Dong, H. Seroussi, D.C. Jones, and A.K. Morrison. Antarctic Bottom Water sensitivity to spatio-temporal variations in Antarctic meltwater fluxes. Geophysical Research Letters, 50(13):e2022GL101595, https://doi.org/10.1029/2022GL101595 2023
- Al-Khaldi, M.M., S. Gleason, J.T. Johnson, R. Balasubramaniam, C.S. Ruf, D.S. McKague, B. Annane, T. Wang, A. Russel, and D. Twigg. Using synthetic cyclone models for high wind GNSS-R calibration, validation, and algorithm development: A CYGNSS case study. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 61:5801911, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2023.3294870 2023