- Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), in particular in the South Atlantic.
- Eddy processes and associated heat and salt transports.
- Coupled high-resolution ocean-atmosphere and ocean-ice modeling.
- Climate change and its impacts particularly on the Atlantic ocean and polar regions.
- Effects of extreme storm events on the ocean.
Work in progress
Gronholz, A. et al., Interannual-to-decadal varibaility of the South Atlantic Ocean heat content in an eddy-resolving general circulation model, In preparation.
Gronholz, A., Graewe, U., Paul, A., and Schulz, M., 2017: Investigating the effects of a summer storm on the North Sea stratification using a regional coupled ocean-atmosphere model. Ocean Dynamics. 67, 211-235, doi:10.1007/s10236-016-1023-2.