To learn more about the use of electromagnetic fields and cables for monitoring ocean currents, and the history of cable work near Florida, we suggest looking at the following papers:
- Szuts, Z. B. (2012) "Using motionally-induced electric signals to indirectly measure ocean velocity: Instrumental and theoretical developments", Progress in Oceanography, Volume 96, Issue 1, p. 108-127. doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2011.11.014
- Nilsson, J. A. U., P. Sigray, and R. H. Tyler (2007) "Geoelectric Monitoring of Wind-Driven Barotropic Transports in the Baltic Sea", J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech., 24, DOI: 10.1175/JTECH2068.1.
- Peter Sigraya, Peter Lundbergb, and Kristofer Doosb (2004): Observations of Transport Variability in the Baltic Sea by Parasitic Use of a Fiber-Optic Cable. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 21(7), 1112-1120.
- Kuh Kima, Sang Jin Lyua, Young-Gyu Kimb, Byung Ho Choic, Keisuke Tairad, Henry T. Perkinse, William J. Teaguee, and Jeffrey W. Booke (2004): Monitoring Volume Transport through Measurement of Cable Voltage across the Korea Strait. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 21(4), 671-682.
- Fernando A. Monteiro Santos, Antonio Soares, Luis Trindade, Rita Nolasco, Helena Rodrigues, and ISO-3D team (2002): Voltage measurements over the CAM-1 submarine cable between Madeira Island and Portugal mainland. Earth Planets Space, 54, 393-398.
- L. L. Vanyan, H. Utada, H. Shimizu, Y. Tanaka, N. A. Palshin, V. Stepanov, V. Kouznetsov, R. D. Medzhitov, and A. Nozdrina (1998): Studies on the lithosphere and the water transport by using the Japan Sea submarine cable(JASC): 1. Theoretical considerations. Earth Planets Space, 50, 35-42.
- Larsen, J.C., M. Koga, and C.-T. Liu (1997): Motion-induced voltages from in-service undersea telephone cables. Acta Oceanographica Taiwanica, 36(1), 1-9.
- Flosadottir, A.H., J.C. Larsen, and J.T. Smith (1997): The relation of seafloor voltages to ocean transports in north Atlantic circulation models: Model results and practical considerations for transport monitoring. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 27(8), 1547-1565.
- Flosadottir, A.H., J.C. Larsen, and J.T. Smith (1997): Motional induction in north Atlantic circulation models. Journal of Geophysical Research, 102(C5), 10,353-10,372.
- Hacker, P., E. Firing, W.D. Wilson, and R.L. Molinari (1996): Direct observation of the current structure east of the Bahamas. Geophysical Research Letters, 23, 1127-1130.
- Larsen, J.C. (1992): Transport and heat flux of the Florida Current at 27°N derived from cross-stream voltages and profiling data: theory and observations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, 338, 169-236.
- Luther, D. S., J. H. Filloux, and A. D. Chave (1991): Low-frequency, motionally induced electromagnetic fields in the ocean: 2. Electric field and Eulerian current comparison. Journal of Geophysical Research, 96(C7), 12,797-12,814.
- Larsen, J.C. (1991): Transport measurements from in-service undersea telephone cables. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 16(4), 313-318.
- Chave, A.D., and D.S. Luther
(1990): Low-frequency motionally induced electromagnetic fields in the
ocean: 1. Theory. Journal of
Geophysical Research, 95(C5), 7,185-7,200.
- Mayer, D.A., and J.C. Larsen (1986): Tidal transport in the Florida Current and its relationship to tidal heights and cable voltages. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 16, 2199-2202.
- Schott, F.A., S.A. Frisch, and J.C. Larsen (1986): Comparison of surface currents measured by HF Doppler radar in the Western Florida Straits during November 1983 to January 1984 and Florida Current transports. Journal of Geophysical Research, 91, 8451-8460.
- Larsen, J.C., and T.B. Sanford (1985): Florida Current volume transports from voltage measurements. Science, 227, 302-304.
- Mayer, D.A., K.D. Leaman and T.N. Lee (1984): Tidal motions in the Florida Current. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 14, 1551-1559.
- Sanford, T. B. (1982): Temperature transport and motional induction in the Florida Current. Journal of Marine Research, 40, 621-639.
- Stommel, H. (1961): Florida Straits Transports: July 1958-March 1959.Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib., 11, 318.
- Stommel, H. (1959): Florida Straits Transports: June 1956-July 1958.Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib., 9, 222-223.
- Stommel, H. (1957): Florida Straits Transports: 1952-1956.Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib., 7, 252-254.
- Stommel, H. (1948): The theory of the electric field induced in deep ocean currents. Journal of Marine Research, 7, 386-392.