NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
My interests include: Tropical cyclones and their genesis, African Easterly Waves, aircraft observations including SFMR and Doppler radar, data assimilation of TC observations, track and intensity forecasts of tropical cyclones
Current Research Projects
- Klotz, B.W., and E.W. Uhlhorn. Improved stepped frequency microwave radiometer tropical cyclone surface winds in heavy precipitation. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 31(11):2392-2408, doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-14-00028.1 2014.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2017: Examination of Surface Wind Asymmetries in Tropical Cyclones: Part I. General Structure and Wind Shear Impacts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 145, 3989–4009, doi: 10.1175/MWR-D-17-0019.1.
- Klotz, B. W., and H. Jiang, 2016: Global composites of surface wind speeds in tropical cyclones based on a 12 year scatterometer database. Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 10,480–10,488.
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Androulidakis, Y., V. Kourafalou, T. Ozgokmen, O. Garcia-Pineda, B. Lund, M. Le Henaff, C. Hu, B.K. Haus, G. Novelli, C. Guigand, H.-S. Kang, L. Hole, and J. Horstmann. Influence of river-induced fronts on hydrocarbon transport: A multiplatform observational study. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans. 123(5):3259-3285, doi:10.1029/2017JC013514 2018
- Annane, B., B. McNoldy, S.M. Leidner, R. Hoffman, R. Atlas, and S.J. Majumdar. A study of the HWRF analysis and forecast impact of realistically simulated CYGNSS observations assimilated as scalar wind speeds and as VAM wind vectors. Monthly Weather Review, 146(7):2221-2236, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-17-0240.1 2018
- Archer, M.R., S.R. Keating, M. Roughan, W.E. Johns, R. Lumpkin, F. Beron-Vera, and L.K. Shay. The kinematic similarity of two western boundary currents revealed by sustained high-resolution observations. Geophysical Research Letters, 45(12):6176-6185, doi:10.1029/2018GL078429 2018