Bradley W. Klotz
Hurricane Research Division-CIMAS
NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149
My interests include: Tropical cyclones and their genesis, African Easterly Waves, aircraft observations including SFMR and Doppler radar, data assimilation of TC observations, track and intensity forecasts of tropical cyclones
Current Research Projects
Recently Published Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Uhlhorn, E.W., B.W. Klotz, T. Vukicevic, P.D. Reasor, and R.F. Rogers. Observed hurricane wind speed asymmetries and relationships to motion and environmental shear. Monthly Weather Review, 142(3):1290-1311, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-13-00249.1 2014
- Vukicevic, T., E. Uhlhorn, P. Reasor, and B. Klotz. A novel multiscale intensity metric for evaluation of tropical cyclone intensity forecasts. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 71(4):1292-1304, doi:10.1175/JAS-D-13-0153.1 2014
Manuscripts in Review
- Walsh, E. J., I. PopStefanija, S. Matrosov, J. Zhang, E. Uhlhorn, and B. Klotz, “Airborne Rain Rate Measurement with a Wide Swath Radar Altimeter”, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 2013.
- Klotz, B. W. and E. Uhlhorn, "Improved Stepped Frequency Microwave Radiometer Surface Winds in Heavy Precipitation", Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 2014.
- Klotz, B. W. and E. W. Uhlhorn. “Improving SFMR Surface Wind Measurements in Heavy Rain Conditions.” 30th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, 15 – 20 April, 2012. American Meteorological Society, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
- Uhlhorn, E., B. Klotz, J. Zhang, and M. Fischer. “Extreme Surface Wind Observations in Some Recent Category-5 Tropical Cyclones.” 30th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, 15 – 20 April, 2012. American Meteorological Society, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
- Klotz, B. W. and E. W. Uhlhorn, Improved SFMR Surface Wind Measurements in Intense Rain Conditions: A JHT Project, 6 March, 2012. Interdepartmental Hurricane Conference, Charleston, SC.